Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Everything is Awesome!

Last weekend, FINALLY, the whole family made a rare trip to the movie theater to see...  yep, you guessed it.  The Lego Movie!
So what did we-- the owners of Bricksburgh.com-- think about the Lego Movie's "Bricksburg"?
I'm glad you asked-- and you're safe, NO SPOILERS ahead:

I mean it.  If you haven't seen the movie, I'm not going to spoil it for you.  I know what it is like to wait a VERY LONG TIME to see a movie so late viewers can read on without fear.   Bottom line is that you SHOULD go see it.  Soon.  There are surprises that will be ruined for you if you do not get to the film before someone spoils it.      I LOVED IT.    That's all I'm going to tell you.     I LOVED IT.

Obviously talking up the movie without spoiling it means there's a lot we can't talk about.  However, the city our hero starts out in is called Bricksburg.  Or was it Bricksberg?  I forget.  Suffice it to say that when we watched the movie and heard/saw Bricksburg we were quite happily surprised!   I know they spelled it differently, but we're in Pittsburgh so adding the "H" was an obvious thing for us to do!  

The city itself really has nothing in common in our Bricksburgh.  We have made a city almost exclusively out of classic/vintage sets.  Buildings and vehicles that we've created are also made in a style that is most closely inspired by the Lego Town series from the late 1980s.  The movie Bricksburg is made entirely of modern and current sets available from Lego-- not surprise there, the merchandising opportunities are HUGE for a movie like this.  As a result the cityscape features broad streets with wide vehicles and intricate "Creator" style buildings full of details and equally large.  Their Bricksburg is nothing like our more intimate and narrow interpretation of the classic style.  We also have much less details on our buildings-- inside and out-- as was the style of those earlier Lego sets.

Ah, but you're wondering.... who came up with the name first?   I think we did.   Well, more specifically, we came up with the name and used it on this domain before Lego did.  I can't say for sure that we were the first people "ever" to use the name Bricksburgh-- even with the H-- but we started this blog in 2012 and I'd be quite surprised if Lego had named their movie city that early on in the process/script.

Now for the one big criticism...  and I must warn you, it is dangerous to read further than this.  In fact, if you're otherwise satisfied with what you have read so far and enjoying your own thoughts on this-- or any other-- topic, you are advised to skip to the next blog post right now.  If you don't, I'm not responsible for the complete loss of coherent thought that you may experience temporarily.  If the inability to think coherently lasts longer than 4 hours, you should consult a doctor.  I will wait while you consider your options and the ramifications of your decision.

Still here?  You are brave.  The one criticism I have of the movie is of the super-processed-gimmicky ear worm song "Everything is Awesome".  I get they were trying to make a song so ridiculously upbeat that it is satirical... but my problem with it is that it is still STUCK IN MY HEAD.  Give it a listen...  I'm sure you'll agree---  but remember, you were WARNED:

Thanks for visiting us here at www.bricksburgh.com and check out the videos on our YouTube channel at www.YouTube.com/MSIMMONS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated-- yours will post once approved.